Simon Sarver Swetz & Jachts LLC Logo
(973) 279-6100

Handling Out-of-State Resident and Non-New Jersey Resident Tickets


Out-of-State Resident and Non-New Jersey Resident Tickets Defense

If you receive a traffic ticket out of state, call us today for a free consultation!

If you drive in New Jersey and get a ticket for a traffic violation, you’ll have to deal with the consequences stipulated by the state’s driving laws. But what if you are not a New Jersey resident at the period of time you are ticketed? Or, if your permanent home lies in another state, what should you do?

With out-of-state resident and non-New Jersey resident tickets, different things may happen when you are involved in a moving violation. At Simon Sarver, Attorneys at Law, we have decades of experience helping residents and non-residents handle traffic tickets they receive in New Jersey.

Read on to learn more about what happens with out-of-state tickets and non-resident violations, as well as how we can help you in those circumstances.
woman receiving a ticket after an illegal stop

The Driver’s License Compact

When involved in a traffic violation, what happens depends significantly on the states involved. Two interstate agreements regulate the sharing of information regarding driving records and out-of-state tickets.

Most states, including the District of Columbia, share information about traffic violations and ticketing through the Driver’s License Compact. Five states are not members of the Compact:

  • Massachusetts
  • Georgia
  • Tennessee
  • Michigan
  • Wisconsin

So, what happens if you reside in a Compact state and receive a ticket in another Compact state for speeding or some other moving violation? In that case, you will receive two points on your driver’s license plus any penalties and fines assessed by the traffic court of that state.

The Non-Resident Violator Compact

New Jersey also belongs to the Non-Resident Violator Compact, which includes 43 other states and the District of Columbia. Six states do not belong to this Compact:

  • California
  • Oregon
  • Montana
  • Alaska
  • Michigan
  • Wisconsin

If you are ticketed in one of the states in this Compact, you cannot be detained for violations that occur out of state. However, the state will suspend your driver’s license if you do not comply with the citation and meet its terms.

When dealing with out-of-state and non-New Jersey resident tickets, you need to know the law for the state where your traffic violation occurred. In most cases, your points and penalties will be determined by the state where the violation occurred, even if you are not a statutory resident there.

Need Legal Advice About Your Out-of-State or Non-Resident Tickets?

The variation in penalties and laws across state lines serves as an important reason to have a knowledgeable traffic ticket attorney on your side. At Simon Sarver, Attorneys at Law, our priority is to help you understand your unique case. We know the driving law, and we can assist you in handling your out-of-state resident and non-New Jersey resident tickets quickly and effectively.

For more information or to schedule a free consultation with a member of our legal team, call Simon Sarver, Attorneys at Law, today at (973) 381-1902.

Get a Free
Consultation Now!

Simon Sarver Swetz & Jachts LLC Logo(973) 279-6100
100 Hamilton Plaza
Suite 405
Paterson, NJ 07505
7 Glenwood Ave
Suite 311B
East Orange, NJ 07017
190 Franklin Turnpike
Suite 1
Mahwah, NJ 07430
Google Reviews logo

Copyright © 2021 | Simon Sarver Swetz & Jachts LLC | All Rights Reserved

Powered By: 
Epic Web Results text logo
menuarrow-down linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram